Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

One Year in Country


One Year In Country

The other week marked one year in Colombia and we were all DTF (Down to Fiesta).  After the great weekend festivities I could hardly believe I have been on the coast for a year now.  I still vividly remember meeting Taylor on the bus ride from the airport to the hotel in Miami and meeting Mike D, my roommate for the first night in the hotel room.    

 The days can go by slowly, but they months always move quickly.  I can’t even believe it is almost November which marks Carnival in Cartagena and before I know it, it is going to be the last day of classes December 8th.  So after a year on the Coast of Colombia I put together a survival dictionary of some Costeñol (because what they speak here is hardly Spanish) words that I have accumulated here thus far.  Some letters I still don’t have words for, but I will fill them in as I learn new phrases in the next year!  One great year down and I can’t wait to see what the next year brings.   

Areap- fried dough with anything from egg to cheese inside 
Bulla- Noise 
Champeta- music with african roots that is really popular in La Boquilla
Del Carajo- really cool
Eche- A derogatory interjection 
Filo- hungry 
Guerro- liquor 
Huepaje- a yell of joy; often heard while dancing (well)
Inmundo- something horrible 
Junta Comunal- a group that plans events in the community
K 
Liso- Very friendly person and can be quite touchy as well 
Marimonda- a typical costume for carnival 
Nojoda- directly translating to don’t F***, but it is used more like “are you kidding?”
Ñapa- Ask for this when getting fruit and they throw in a couple extra    
Oiste- really meaning did you hear, but here it is used as “O.K?” 
Pillas- hurry up
Qué mas- What’s up?
Raspa’o-  Snow cone  
Sapo- a know it all in class
Tinto- coffee
U
Vaina- thing
W
era- Usually spoken at parties when someone does something strange
X
Y
Zapote- one of my favorite fruits that is amazing as a blended juice with milk

5 comments:

  1. Bulla and Inmundo are not regional words, Filo is hunger, Sapo is that kid that tattles on classmates (if you have a word for that in English please tell me). Two misspellings areap > arepa, pillas > pilas. I'm curious about guerro and wera I've never heard them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, this is an interesting list! My boyfriend is Costeño and, although I speak Spanish, I have a hard time following along when he talks to other Colombians. Since we live in Madrid I don't hear these phrases much--vaina, arepa, and nojoda were the only ones I recognized.

    ReplyDelete