Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

The Truth Behind Roosters


I can’t believe it has taken me this long to write about a topic as prominent in my everyday life as roosters are.  These animals are depicted as cute and even helpful in many children’s books and hollywood films.  You know the deal, they are a farmers best friend.  However, living in La Boquilla where the number of roosters to households has to be close to 1:2, I have a totally different view on these “helpful”  animals.  My neighbor has a rooster that lives right outside my window and from this experience I have really come to know the truth behind roosters.

My neighbors rooster is hardly natures alarm clock.  Not only does this rooster make noise to alert the rising of the sun and the starting of a new day, but he makes noise when I am trying to take a siesta, when I am eating dinner, when I am talking on skype, when I am listening to music, and when I am trying to go to sleep.  So the only possible way this rooster can be considered an alarm clock is if the owner of the clock has been perpetually been hitting the snooze button for the past year. 

Now I don’t care if this passage makes me seem like a rooster hatter, but if that nuisance doesn’t learn to be quite from the hours of at least 10:00pm-7:00am I am going to cross over into my neighbor’s ‘lawn’ and capture that cock-a-dooble-dooing little shit.  I will additionally threaten to boycott all chicken products (some how related to this argument) and then at a later date realize I am powerless against this rooster and put in my ear plugs continue listening to my flowing river sleep mix.  But rest assured, for these next few days I will appear pissed at all roosters and make outlandish claims that I have absolutely no intention of backing up.  Consider this blog post my word!  

4 comments:

  1. lovely post, Mr. Band. You really know how to write a love story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael! I am an RPCV from China (2010-2012) and coming to Colombia this summer with a fellowship from my grad program. I am wondering if you'd be willing to chat via email about your experiences and let me pick your brain a little -- let me know! my email is leora.hudak@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We now have a flock of geese living on Woodland. Talk about noise--Oy vey!! I find the wax ear plugs most effective!! Also on Woodland is Obama's new Chief of Staff so we have secret service. What a neighborhood!!!!!

    ReplyDelete