Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

MURALS site #1

After three weeks of battling what seemed like a pretty constant afternoon drizzle, we finally did it!  We painted eight murals at one of the schools I work at.  By we I mean: the high school art teacher, 5-10 high school boys (depending on the day), and some really appreciated  GRINGA help (Thanks Amigos de las Americas).  Let me start by letting you know that I am in no way an artist.  In fact my handwriting has been described as chicken scratch from since I can remember and I was actually not able to complete a high school art project because I was deemed inept by the teacher and had to instead draw dixie cups as the rest of the class painted still life--LOOK AT ME NOW PATRICIA.  However, I was not going to let that minor detail stand in the way of co-leading a successful art project.  And that is a huge reason I love being a Peace Corps volunteer.  No one ever questioned by ability, asked to see my resume, or attempted to long distance call one of my references before we started the project.  I just had an idea, found people who wanted to collaborate, and a school coordinadora that was looking to beautify her school.

I really had never done anything like this before so I had no idea how to start the project or set an accurate timeline.  But in the end like most things PC related projects, it somehow got done.  I look forward to sharing the pictures from future mural projects with you all in the future!  As I only ruined one pair of khakis I see this first mural project as a great success.











3 comments:

  1. Hello! Those murals are AWESOME!!kuddos! So I actually came across your blog amid some research on travel in Colombia! I just finished Peace Corps in Guatemala and will be traveling with a friend from Colombia down to Peru. I have traveled some in Ecuador and my family is from Peru, so I am not as worried bout those places, but I am a lil clueless about Colombia! We are starting in Cartagena and gonna explore a lil around there then head south...but that is about all that is set in stone! If you have any advice bout places to stay at or see, I would MUCH appreciate it :) my email is jnchoquehuanca@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing project, Miguel!! I believe that cup painting is now proudly displayed in our entryway, and I love it and see it every single day. We're so proud of all you are doing and who you are. You are such a success. Your community is lucky to have you.

    Peace and Love

    ReplyDelete