Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Finally Realizing the Appeal

As a kid I never understood what all the fuss was about with matchbox cars, fire trucks, and bulldozers.  However, after last weeks work on the grant project, I must admit I now get it. 

With less than a month to go now and one more project to finish, things have been getting quite busy out here in La Boquilla.  I am really starting to spend that grant money and in doing so find myself on the phone calling up community members and bargaining more than ever. "What is the absolut lowest you can go for a school project that is endorsed by a nun?"  I call that one the religious appeal.  I almost feel like a business man, not that I would know what that feels like though.

After FINALLY filling the donated plot of land with dirt/rubble the next step was to level all of it.  Now this is a big project and with only a limited time, I was not confident that a group of five high schoolers could complete such a task in less than a weeks time.  So my counterpart and I had to start brainstorming about alternatives.  As we were doing said task while simultaneously walking around town looking for the head of the local government, we saw a random bulldozer.  Now after two years this is the first bulldozer I have seen in town.  I then pushed my counterpart into the path of the oncoming machinery to get the attention of the texting driver.  JK we just waved him down and agreed on a good price on behalf of the nun.

That bulldozer completed the job in less than 30 minutes and was just crushing everything in its path; Pretty amazing really.  My life's only mission quickly turned into, "How can get to drive that thing."  And those who ask shall receive, so I sat in the drivers seat with the strange man and together we went a few inches.  Childhood dream I never had, completed!


   

1 comment: