Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Living ON the grid and a Very Colombian List

Many people who are about to join the Peace Corps talk about living off the grid, but my experience couldn't be any further from that.  The city of Barranquilla is literally set up as a grid.  Opposed to the normal layout of many cities with winding Avenues, Streets, Drives, Roads, and Lanes, Barranquilla is a bit different.  There are only Calles and Carreras in this city of nearly 1.5 million.  The Calles run from east to the west and the Carreras south to north.  So you think it would be pretty hard to get lost right.....Well if you know my less than stellar sense of direction it is no surprise that I have already gotten lost a few times.  The most notable time was trying to walk to the Peace Corps office with another volunteer, who has very little Spanish experience.  The 'adventure' lasted about two hours and needless to say by the time we arrived we were both drenched in sweat and dying of thirst. 

Learned in Colombia
1.  Plans fall through:  I know I was going to write about the soccer game I mentioned in my last post, but (^) the plans fell through.  It was ok because I had some work to do anyway, but I hope they don't fall through again next Wednesday as we are scheduled to go to another game.
2.  Arroyos:  There is no drainage system in Barranquilla thus when it storms (which occurs often as it is currently the rainy season) the streets turn into class 5 white water rapids.  I mean you literally can't cross so your best option is finding shelter and grabbing a Snickers because it could be a while.  I will try and get pictures of the next arroyo so you can see what I am talking about. 
3.  Punctuality:  or should I say lack there of... People on the coast do NOT show up to anything on time.  I am told it is part of the culture so I should not be offended when someone (student, teacher, friend) strolls in 30-45 minutes late.
4.  Watch out for bagged drinks:  So a lot of drinks come in bags here (cheaper than cans or bottles).  However, you have to be very careful because once you bite off one of the corners you can't put the drink down or else you will wear it.  Unfortunately I made this mistake, only once, and ended up wearing mango juice on my pants for the rest of the day.  
5.  Costal Spanish is hard to understand:  The Spanish spoken here is very difficult to understand as they don't pronounce the S's and drop the D's completely.  So this often ends up in chunks of words missing.  I am 'efinitely 'tarting to get the hang of it though.  
6.  It is easy to find cheap beer:  The local favorite Aguila (definite monopoly on the beer game in Barranquilla)  is often sold for less than $1.

Gio my next post will include some of the "nitty gritty Colombia" pictures you requested.  Thou who asks shall receive! 

Hope all is well Back in the States!   


  

9 comments:

  1. Do they have cocktails in a bag? That would be great! How is the food there? Any favorites? Or did you pack the Foreman? Also do you walk everywhere or do you drive? just random questions i had... Hope all is well... miss you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. arroyos sound gnarly. awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to visit and try my hand at finding my way around. Thank goodness you will be there to guide me! Just found out the new Spanish teacher at school tutors, so I may have some new and improved phrases by the time I arrive this summer. Maybe even by the next time I Skype with your host family since I've already asked them what their names are and thanked them for having you! Be careful during those arroyos; stock up on Snickers and for the love of G-d, take shelter from the storm. Just a little Dylan reference there! About to download the new Florence BTW. Can't wait till Thurs. so everyone can Skype with you!!!!!!!!!! Love you tons and tons . . .

    ReplyDelete