Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Peace Corps Office/Bilingualism Week/Host Brother's Birthday Party/Site Visit

Pictures from the PC office:

View from atop the Peace Corps office (I have heard that it is the best/only view you can get of Barranquilla)

 Some of the 23 members of the group on the Peace Corps office roof
Bilingualism Week:
 These Pictures were taken at the Javier Sanchez school during their Bilingualism week.  As some of you may know Colombia as a country has a goal of being bilingual by 2019 in all of its schools.  Thus promoting bilingualism is ever present in the school system (so much so that there is a week dedicated to it).  In the picture to the right a few members of our group, Peace Corps employees, and school staff are posing by a sign that was made for the week.  The picture on the left was taken during the presentation the school put on for us (The 5 trainees, including myself, that were at this specific school).  The presentation included a music and dance portion where the girl pictured above took turns grabbing each guy one at a time and dance salsa with them.....so pretty much embarrassing ourselves in front of a room full of laughing students.  

Birthday Bash:
 Some of the fam sitting outside on the front patio hanging out for my host brother's birthday.  Observation: People in Barranquilla are really good at sitting out on their front patios for hours at a time and relaxing (must be some kinda past time).  Below is a picture of my host brother cutting the cake with a RUSTY machete.......Still tasted good though!  





Site Visits:
This week was SITE VISIT WEEK!!!! What that means it that us volunteers got to travel to Santa Marta, Cartagena, or if you were really lucky go absolutely no where at all and stay in Barranquilla to shadow current volunteers and see what an 'average' day in the life is life....Well I was one of the lucky few.  However, I did not really care that I was not getting to travel as I love my host family and the city.  The two days actually turned our really fun as a few of us trainees started by chatted with two current volunteers over some beers.  I then went to an amazing school on Tuesday (see pictures).  The site visits finish tomorrow and I will be headed straight to my first Colombia soccer game tomorrow.  The club team from Barranquilla currently sit in 1st place in the primer Colombian soccer league.  I can't wait to write about it in my next post. 














11 comments:

  1. Wow, just got to check out your blog. It's been awhile since we've interacted but WELCOME TO SA!! So excited for you, based on what I've read it seems like we've gotten ourselves into similar situations. I wish you the best during your service. And if you ever feel like venturing south to Ecuador, holla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pix! I can't wait to hear more about the schools. I wanna hear about how/if they talk about learning disabilities.
    I love the salsa moment and the cutting of the cake captured on film:-)
    How was the soccer game? Whenever I turn on the TV, it's recording a game!
    Just waiting for a few more bday gifts to arrive and then I'll ship off ur bday pkg. I'll be sure to send this one to the PC HQ address!
    Always proud of you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is so interesting! I am waiting to receive an official invitation from the PC, but I'm slated for an Aug'12 departure to South America and I'm hoping its going to be to Barranquilla!!

    ReplyDelete