Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Back in the classroom during break?!

 So for these past two weeks we have all technically been on break.  However, we were presented with the opportunity to teach twice a week at an English 'training camp' for people who want to work at call centers or who are just genuinely interested in learning English.  The classes were originally supposed to be at Pies Discalzos (Shakira's school) in La playa, a more rural small town outside of Barranquilla, but on the first day, to our surprise, we were locked out of the school and had to relocate.  Luckily the new location was within walking distance.     
The dynamics of the classrooms were very interesting as the ages of the Colombians ranged from around 13 to mid 30s (my classroom at least).  So keeping the attention and motivation levels high for both the teens and older community members was something new for me and thus my co-teacher and I had to be a bit creative.  One lesson even involved yoga, thanks to my co-teacher.  Although challenging at times the overall experience was very rewarding.  We even received a traditionally Colombian 'thank you' party....  Meaning it started 30 minutes last and had tons of food!  I also personally was given a really cute poster by a few of the students in my class (picture below).  
One interesting thing that we got to do this week was go to a professional baseball game In Barranquilla!  The team here are the Caimanes (Alligators).  The professional league consists of four teams in cities all dotted along the coast.  The league is named after Edgar Renteria, a professional baseball player and the pride and joy of Barranquilla.  The stadium was surprisingly nice and the competition was pretty good.  Needless to say it felt good to be back in my element.

So if I had to describe Colombian professional baseball in 10 words or less I would say, East Bound and Down season two You're F****** Out!  However, if you are not a fan of the amazing series that is East Bound and Down just imagine a pretty empty stadium with an American on one team and over advertising on both the jerseys and everywhere you look around the park due to the lack of funding.  However, there was a reporter there and I even got my first Spanish interview (name, where I am from, what I think about baseball in Colombia, and how I heard of the league).  Unfortunately, when the footage aired I was teaching.  I will continue to search for it, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

So these past two weeks have been nice and relaxing and to see the break come to an end a few other volunteers and I will be spending NYE in Cartagena.  Happy New Years faithful readers!!!!!!!!! 



Yoga

School


Students who made the poster
Baseball game interview
Group shot


4 comments:

  1. Great work Mike. Those students are going to miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pix of baseball game interview. Can I have your autograph?! The poster is terrific. Grammar can be so confusing:-) Enjoy the heat, it's freezing at home with a chance of snow today. Remember winter?! Keep up the good work. Sending love from Takoma Park.

    ReplyDelete