Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Quick Update: The Entire City is Watching

So I ended last post by stating in order for Junior to advance to the finals a miracle needed to occur.....Well it did and on Wednesday Junior won the most amazing game I have ever watched.  The game was right after our swearing in ceremony so I went to a bar close by the hotel with the majority of my fellow NEW volunteers.  Junior won 3-0 and then the game went to a penalty kicks, because of the aggregate system, Junior took it 5-4!  What followed at the bar was incredible.  There was tons of beer getting tossed in the air and showering everyone (So my nice shirt, tie, and pants were all soaked...I hope they are still ok to wear), tons of people belting the Junior songs for at least 30 minutes after the game, and all of the busses and cars honking as they passed.  WHAT A GAME!    

  So today is the first leg of the championship, in Barranquilla, and the city has been full of energy since the amazing semifinal win.  On Thursday I gave my host brother money to get a ticket and even pitched in on his for an early christmas gift.  He was so excited and told me they went on sale Friday.  However, after some reconnoissance work of my own, after training on Friday, I was told they go on sale Saturday.  So my host brother woke up at the crack of dawn Saturday to get the tickets as I went to class and a nice Peace Corps holiday lunch, complete with Middle Eastern food (Colombian style).  I got back at around 5:00 and my host brother was nowhere to be found.....At around 5:30 he appeared at the front door with a frustrated look on his face and explained that he had NO luck finding any tickets and he had been running around the city for the entire day!  I later talked to people that had camped out at the ticket stands Friday to get tickets the next day....so it is no wonder my brother had no luck.  So today I will stay in with my family and watch the game on TV with the rest of the city.

Now that I am on a two week break and have some time, I will write another post tomorrow about the swearing in ceremony and have some pictures up.

GO JUNIOR!           

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete