Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Diabetes Festival 2012

What I mean by this is this past weekend was Cartagena’s annual fried food festival.  So six of us Cartagena volunteers met up and attended this greasy holly grail.  The set up was some 30 odd food stands lining the right and left sides of the grounds, which resembled what would essentially be a narrower version of an American football field. Sticking with the football analogy at one of the end-zones was a stage that held Cumbia bands that played all night long.  The crowds were packed at all of the food stands and there was not too much dancing, as the majority of the people I imagine were either too bloated or in food comas.  I fit into both of those categories.  This event however was not exactly what I expected.  
I was hoping for a wide variety of fried greatness, but instead found that all the stands had the exact same options:  empanadas, yucca  balls, arepas, and a few other options.  This was because the festival is actually a competition and to even be privileged with having a stand inside the grounds, your food stand must be first tested and then asked to partake in the festival.  So as it was the final night there was a winner announced, but we did not stay long enough to hear who won this years first prize, which I can only assume was a trophy adorn with gold platted insulin.  All in all it was great food and there is a 100% chance I will be returning next year to eat my share of greasy goodness once again.      

8 comments: