Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Los Caribes vs Los Playeros

While casually drinking beers, a La Boquilla past time, and meeting my host ‘Fathers’ family and some friends for the first time, I met a man named Vidal.  We began chatting and one thing lead to another and the next thing I know I am the newest member of Los Caribes, A mens Softball team that plays in the local La Boquilla League.  I was extremely surprised to find out how well organized the league is as there are two umpires, a set schedule, and even uniforms.  We had a scrimmage on Saturday and I got put in as the starting Right fielder, but did not receive one ball hit in my direction the entire game. 
Game Recap:  Los Caribes are an interesting mix of players that include people over the age of 40 and younger than myself, but the most interesting player is the cleanup hitter, Angel.  He plays catcher, has about five braces brackets not connected by any wire, and wears a fanny pack.  However, don’t let that description lead you to believe that the team is not competitive because when walking on to the ALL SAND field the game faces are on and the baseball banter begins.  Which brings me to my next point, I really need to learn some Spanish baseball banter!  So as a recap I went 1-3 with an RBI and didn’t really do anything too impressive.  However, that did not stop me from gaining a cheering section that chanted Gringo every time I stepped up to bat and ran out to the field, most of them teen girls who have never seen such a spectacle as a gringo playing softball before.  I have never felt so much like Justin Beiber. 
Until next time, 
#20 Gringo        

4 comments: